Life is calling me...Oh I don't want to live then. Let me die...
Sorry. It's time to wake up.
Ugh.
"Here we go again..." Same thing; every morning.
I lean up and pull myself out of bed. I need to wake up...I feel so tired. I hobble down the stairs that I curse every day for being so numerous...I walk to the kitchen. I feel this all too familiar routine of mine is becoming an addiction. Who cares. I just want to wake up.
I pull the refrigerator door with my reserved energy and open the bag of coffee grounds that looked all so innocent sitting on the inside shelf. I open the package. Ahh..that aroma. What I do next is unknown to me since I'm awake right now...but it ends up with a hot cup of coffee in my hand and a smile on my face, so I could care less.
That is the average American. I am the Average American.
Good Morning. :)
*****************************
Over 50% of Americans over 18 years of age drink coffee every day. This represents over 150 million daily drinkers. (1)
There are some common wrongful accusations about coffee and I'm here to set a few facts straight.
Drinking Coffee at night is bad because it'll not allow you to have a good sleep (relaxed).
False.
Coffee actually has no effect on your sleep, except it may take you longer to sleep - but your dream stage (the one that counts in how rested you feel the next morning) is unaffected in length. According to one study, a person may drink anywhere up to seven cups of coffee and apparently did not lose out on having a good sleep. (2) So if you're going to drink coffee, you're just going to fall asleep later, but if you wake up a later from your original plan - you'll be fine. Coffee had nothing to do with your sleep except the fact YOU stayed up longer and decided to wake up at the same time you were going to wake up without staying up.
Some people say that coffee gives them heartburn. This again is
False. (3)
Fine. Let's make something totally up that Coffee doesn't do. Say...Coffee helps people with asthma.
True.
What the hell?
It's true. Coffee helps people manage their asthma as shown in an Italian study of 72,284 people (4) showed that the incidence of asthma fell by 28% when they drank three or more cups a day.
Fine. Here's a big one. Coffee is addictive!!!!! Ahaha! We win!
False.
According to the World Health Organization, has stated that, “There is no evidence whatsoever that caffeine use has even remotely comparable physical and social consequences which are associated with serious drugs of abuse.(5)" So therefore..it's a habit that a good deal of Americans are used to doing to make them alert. But every time, they are in complete control of whether or not they pour a cup.
So believe it or not, coffee isn't so bad as the media likes to make it. It's actually beneficial to you as long as you know how to use it.
I'm going to keep drinking my coffee now even if it is 1 in the afternoon. It tastes good to me and that's all that matters.
*****************************
1) www.scaa.org2) Montserrat, Sanchez-Ortuno, Sleep Medicine, 2005, (6): 247-251
3) Feldman, M. and Barnett, C. Gastroenterology, 1995,(108): 125-131
4) Pagano, R. et al. Chest, 1988,( 94): 386-389
5) World Health Organisation (WHO). The ICD-10 classification of mental and behavioral disorders. World Health Organisation: Geneva, 1994
No comments:
Post a Comment